Sat 7th August Wallingford to Abingdon
Rain was forecast
later, so we were anxious to go before it started. We were boxed in as we had
cruisers in front and behind, and Star Castle on our outside. Several
other boats had left, and we heard movement on Star Castle, so we
started our engine and tapped on their boat. They were ready in a couple of
minutes, so we left together.
Mary Stuart was moored at the
upstream end of the moorings. She was built in 1958.
 |
Mary Stuart |
Benson Lock was
self-operation, so Hazel pressed buttons, while James monitored both ropes. If
we had been on our own, he would have just stayed in the middle without ropes,
but we were sharing with
Star Castle, so he roped up. At the boatyard at
Benson, we spotted some of the classic boats for hire that we had seen on the
website (Bygone Boating).
 |
Benson Lock and Weir |
 |
Bernadette built in 1952 |
We travelled past
Shillingford Bridge, where we once stayed for a weekend. We saw the floating
summerhouse again that we had seen at Beale Park. We also passed the mouth of
the River Thame, where it joins the Thames near Dorchester.
 |
Shillingford Bridge and the Hotel |
 |
The unusual floating shed |
 |
Swimmers in the river |
 |
River Thame joins the Thames here |
The sanitary station
before Days Lock was an essential stop for both boats, as we needed to empty
cassettes. There was a cruiser moored there, taking up half the landing stage,
with a “For Sale” sign. The lock keeper said the guy had fallen ill and was in
hospital.
 |
Star Castle and the abandoned cruiser |
We had planned to stop
near Days Lock, but there is not much to do there on a wet day, so we decided
to continue to Abingdon.
The Thames
makes a large curve, going from facing North, to facing West at Clifton Hampden
over the course of three miles. We used to see the cooling towers at Didcot
from every point on this curve, but they have recently been demolished. We could
still see Wittenham Clumps for a while, and we spotted a kingfisher today.
 |
Wittenham Clumps |
 |
Red Kite |
 |
Star Castle under Clifton Hampden bridge |
At Clifton Lock, Hazel
had some trouble taking up the slack on the front ropes as the flow from the
lock gate was trying to push the boat out. James started the engine and used
the bow thruster to get the boat back to position before we ended up banging
into Star Castle.
 |
The approach to Clifton Lock |
The stretch from
Clifton to Culham we call kingfisher alley, as we have seen four or five in one
day along here. Today we saw none. As we left Culham lock cut and turned right
into the main channel, we noticed that at least two boats were moored in the
short entrance to the Wilts and Berks Canal, which will one day go through to
Swindon, and connect with the Kennet and Avon, and Cotswold Canals.
 |
Wilts and Berks Canal junction of the future |
 |
Wilts and Berks Canal junction of the past |
 |
Abingdon |
In Abingdon, we saw
there was space on the wall before the bridge, but it is difficult to get off
the boat there.
Through the bridge,
there was also space on the field on the right, but we aimed for the leisure centre
on the left, which is closer to the town centre.
Star Castle also went there, and
we noticed Kings Shilling was there already.
 |
Moored in Abingdon |
4 locks, 13 miles. Dep
0800, arr 1205.
Sun 8th
August Abingdon
 |
Early morning in Abingdon |
Dogs are not allowed in
the park, because kids are running around in bare feet, playing in the water
feature. When we used to have a cat, we used to moor here because there were no
dogs. Now, however, the nice clean grass is spoilt by lots of geese who think
it is their home. Perhaps they like it because there are no dogs!
 |
The Abingdon geese |
We watched the YouTube
broadcast from Broughton Church. Later we visited the town and realised that we
might have found a live service happening in one of the churches in Abingdon,
although the Churches Together website stated that none of the churches were holding
services yet.
 |
Abingdon |
We fancied a Sunday Roast,
so we tried to book a table at the Brewery Tap for 1200. The closest they could
offer was for 1715, so we booked that instead. After a wander round the town
and a visit to Waitrose, we turned up at the pub for our Sunday Roast, only to
find that they only serve it at lunchtimes. Disappointed, we left and went to
Wetherspoons for a drink before going to a Thai restaurant when they opened at 1800.
We had a delightful meal there, based on “order what you like”.
We returned to the
boat, and James decided to go for a walk to Thrupp Lake. He used a cycle track
that followed the route of an old railway line which ran to a station where
Waitrose has now been built. He walked round the lake, and had planned to
return via Thrupp Lane, but found that it was gated and marked private by some
company or other. So it took longer to get back and it was almost dark when he
returned. On the way out there were some lovely flowers, and on the way back,
James spotted a deer in the twilight.
 |
Yellow flower |
 |
Cornflower |
 |
Cycle path sign |
 |
Thrupp Lake |
No boating today
Mon 9th
August Abingdon to New Hinksey
Both Kings Shilling
and Star Castle had left by the time we were ready to go.
Abingdon Lock was keeper
operated. We had two cassettes to empty. The water point was in use, and the
narrowboat had been there for an hour, so we didn’t bother. The tap was slow
before, but now with the pressure release it takes forever.
 |
Abingdon Weir and Lock |
 |
A sign at the lock |
 |
Abingdon Facilities |
As we left, a boat was coming
up behind us in the lock, but he never caught up. Kings Shilling was moored up
near the Swift Ditch as we passed, and then we had to negotiate a sunken boat
in the middle of the stream.
 |
Sunken boat |
 |
Entrance to the Swift Ditch, the old navigable course of the Thames |
The MX cycle track is
a little further upstream, and it looked as though it had just been re-graded,
ready for an event. Fairfax Monument was surrounded by tall trees, but Nuneham
House was easily visible. We each
spotted a kingfisher later. Sadly we didn’t have time to
zoom the camera. A shame as the bird was sitting in full view.
 |
MX track |
 |
Nuneham House |
 |
Kingfisher |
Sandford Lock was on self-operation,
which surprised us, as this is the deepest lock on the Thames. It is difficult
to throw the ropes over the bollards without assistance. Two boats were coming
out as we approached, so Hazel got off to press buttons, and James took the
boat in without tying up. Much safer and easier than climbing the steps and
trying to manage two ropes.
 |
Sandford Lock and Mill |
 |
Sandford Lock |
 |
Oxford College Barge |
 |
Terrapin |
We had hoped to moor at
Rose Isle, but there were three boats there already, so we carried on, going
past the footbridge over the Hinksey Stream, where we once ventured a short way
on our first boat, which was 25ft long.
 |
Hinksey Stream |
Iffley lock also said
“Self Service” and two boats were just coming out, so we kept to the right to
let them pass and collect their crew. We planned then to go in, and Hazel would
get off to operate the lock. A man on the lock was gesticulating and pointing
to the left, and crossing his arms to say we couldn’t go in, and signalling for
us to back off, so we moved across while the boats came out. We wondered if
there was a fault with the lock.
It
turned out that he was the lockkeeper! We went in, but before we had tied up properly,
he had opened the sluices and shouted to James to turn off his engine. We
weren’t ready, and the boat was surging, so the last thing we wanted to do was
turn off the engine until the boat was steady. It turned out from another
boater that he oversaw both Iffley and Sandford Locks, and he really should
have been at Sandford which is much more difficult for self-operation than
Iffley. Iffley would have been better for us if he had not been there. He never
spoke to us, and we were the only boat in the lock.
Above the lock, there
were many more boats moored than usual, but we managed to find a space before
Donnington Road Bridge. We had foliage growing against the windows
 |
Moored at Hinksey. |
 |
Our window garden |
 |
Blue flower |
Salters Steamers
passenger vessel Reading was going up and down every hour, doing short
trips. She was built in 1901, and is the oldest vessel still in service in the
fleet.
 |
Reading |
There was a nature
reserve next to the boat, so James went to explore. The path led to a weir on a
Thames backwater called the Hinksey Stream, not marked as navigable in the Nicholson
Guide. However, there were several boats there, below the weir, further up than
our exploration many years ago.
 |
The nature reserve |
 |
Red seed heads |
 |
The Hinksey Stream, below the weir |
What was remarkable was
that above the weir there were also some boats hidden away among the trees.
They must have come in when the water levels were low, as there is a low bridge
across the stream at the junction with the Thames.
On the map below, our
mooring is marked with a star, and the weir is in the circle. The mouth of the
stream is in the diamond, and the triangle marks our turning point years ago
when we explored. The low bridge at the beginning of the stream is marked with
a rectangle.
 |
Map showing the Thames and the Hinksey Stream |
 |
Sun behind the tree |
 |
Sunset at Hinksey |
3 locks, 6 miles. Dep
0950, arr 1220.
Next: Into Oxford, and
then a diversion up the Oxford Canal from the Sheepwash Channel to Dukes Cut,
so that we can fill the water tank properly from a tap that works, before
heading further upstream.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.