Mon
16th August
Lechlade to Kelmscott
We
had to do battle with the cows again this morning, as they crowded in towards
the boats. One had the number 64 on its rump, and was reluctant to move. The
guy on Concorde was cross because they had scratched his boat. Lee
Swift also had problems, as well as the wide beam behind us. Another wide
beam further back had come prepared with his own portable electric fence to
give himself space around the boat!
 |
Cow no 64 interested in Lee Swift |
We
stayed until the cows had moved on, and then went for a walk, hoping to visit
the first lock on the Cotswold Canals at Inglesham. It was a pleasant stroll along the Thames
Path, and over a footbridge near the Roundhouse. Sadly, there was no access to
see the restoration work that has been done on the lock, so an aerial view from
Google Earth, and a pic from the Cotswold Canals Trust will have to do.
 |
The Roundhouse at Inglesham |
 |
Roundhouse (red arrow) and Lock (yellow arrow) (Google Earth) |
We
walked back along a different path into the village, where we visited the
Christmas Shop, which has moved across the road to smaller premises. We also
went to the pharmacy and Londis before having breakfast in the Sourdough shop.
We
crossed back over Halfpenny Bridge, so called because they used to collect a
toll. The tollhouse is still there, and appears to be a private dwelling. Built
in 1792.
 |
Tollhouse |
 |
Halfpenny Bridge |
Back
on the boat, we set off at the same time as Lee Swift, and we shared St
John’s Lock with them.
 |
WWII pillbox |
 |
An unusual duck |
 |
Sharing St John’s Lock with Lee Swift |
We
emptied two cassettes at the facilities. We had the next lock at Buscot to
ourselves, on self-service. A group of ladies with towels appeared, asking
where the best place for a swim might be. They crossed over the weir hoping the
National Trust tearoom might be open, but we think it is closed on Mondays.
We
wanted to moor near Kelmscott, and visit the Plough Inn, but the moorings were very
overgrown, and the best places had been taken. The William Morris Manor House
is closed for refurbishment, and they probably aren’t bothered about the
moorings at the moment. We moored further on near a sharp bend and another WWII
pillbox.
There
are a lot of pink flowers at this time of year, including Purple Loosestrife,
Himalayan Balsam, and Great Willowherb. The Rosebay Willowherb comes a bit
later.
 |
Purple Loosestrife |
 |
Himalayan Balsam |
 |
Great Willowherb |
 |
A beautiful white flower |
 |
Our own private garden for this evening |
2
locks, 4 miles. Dep 1200, arr 1400
Tue
17th August
Kelmscott to Rushey
As
we were about to leave, narrowboat Kathleen Rose went past, and we
suggested sharing the lock. However, they said they were going to fill up with
water first, and we know what that means! When we arrived at the lock, they
said they would be some time, so we went in first.
 |
Grafton Lock and Kathleen Rose |
 |
Radcot Bridge |
 |
Radcot Lock |
We
arrived at Rushey, and we were the only boat there. Eventually two other
narrowboats arrived, including Kathleen Rose.
 |
On our own at Rushey |
 |
Joined by two others |
James
went to explore, and found that the Thames Path crosses the weir and lock here.
There is also a fish pass, going in a big loop like a log flume. Apparently,
the house by the weir used to belong to David Niven.
 |
The fish pass |
 |
Rushey Weir |
He
didn’t spot deer again, or swimming cows, but he did see a hare, too far away
to get a photo.
 |
Evening sky at Rushey |
2
locks, 5 miles. Dep 1030, arr 1225
Wed
18th August
Rushey to Newbridge +
 |
Morning reflections |
As
we left, we asked the guy on
Kathleen Rose if he was leaving, but he
said not yet. We disposed of rubbish at Rushey Lock, and were locked through by
the lady lock keeper.
We
went under Tadpole bridge, and through some sharp zigzags, where we had to take
swift avoiding action as we met another narrowboat on a corner.
 |
Tadpole Bridge |
 |
Owls to keep birds off moored cruisers |
Tenfoot
Bridge is neither ten foot hight or ten foot wide, so the name is a mystery.
Perhaps the maximum load was five people?
 |
Tenfoot Bridge |
It
would be good to visit Chimney Meadows nature Reserve, but mooring is almost
impossible. There was a notice about it at Shifford Lock, showing a footbridge
that isn’t marked in the Nicholson Guide. It connects two parts of the Thames
Path. The lock was on self-service.
 |
Chimney Meadows notice |
 |
Shifford Lock |
We
had wanted to stop at Newbridge to visit the Maybush for lunch, but there were “no
mooring (wedding)” signs all over the meadow where we usually stop. The signs
looked very old, and this was mid-week. The pub is losing business. Email sent
to pub.
 |
Newbridge |
We
needed an alternative mooring, and we found a good spot on a low wall alongside
the Thames Path, just a bit too far to walk back to the two pubs at Newbridge.
 |
Our mooring below Newbridge |
2
locks, 6 miles. Dep 1005, arr 1235
Thu
19th August Newbridge+ to
Pinkhill
A
small narrowboat called Sloe went past before we were ready to join
them. We left twenty minutes later.
 |
Leaving our mooring above Newbridge |
 |
Harts Footbridge |
When
we arrived at Northmoor lock, Sloe had only just arrived themselves,
living up to their name. A few minutes later, Kathleen Rose arrived, and
three of us shared the lock. Four cruisers arrived also, on a boat club outing
to Oxford, and they decided that none of them could fit in with us.
 |
Sloe at Northmoor Lock |
The
weir at Northmoor is apparently the last paddle and rymer weir on the Thames,
and has been preserved for historic reasons.
Sloe suggested that we
leave first as they were going to be Sloe.
 |
The unusual weir at Northmoor |
 |
The weir and lock as we left |
 |
Ancient willows |
We
had in mind a possible lunch stop at the Ferryman at Bablock Hythe, as we have
never stopped there, but there was a fisherman on the only mooring available,
and the pub didn’t open for another hour. We decided to move on, past all the
caravans that line the left bank.
 |
The Ferryman at Bablock Hythe |
 |
Caravans and cruisers |
When
we arrived at Pinkhill, we found that the moorings were unoccupied except for a
boat that was there when we came through earlier. We chatted to him and
discovered that he was the fisheries manager for Thames Water, who own the
site. We mentioned the nature reserve, and James asked him how to get into the
bird hide that is always locked. He gave us the combination for the lock.
 |
Moored above Pinkhill |
Kathleen
Rose arrived soon after, and moored up nearest to
the reservoir. Sloe came chugging past quite a bit later, followed by
the boat club cruisers.
 |
The cruising club coming past. |
James
went for a walk to check out the reservoir and the bird hides. While he was in
the first bird hide, there was a sudden heavy rain shower. Hazel had washing
out to dry, and we hadn’t put the stern cover up, so Hazel had to rush round
doing the best she could.
James met a
man with a long lens in one of the bird hides, and he said that one of the
local adult barn owls had died, so the future was uncertain for the local barn
owl population. There has been a pair breeding annually for several years. He discovered
that the huge man-made nesting sites were to attract Ospreys, but none had come
as yet.
There
wasn’t much to see apart from an egret in the same place as last time, and a
grey squirrel on the path.
 |
Little Egret |
 |
Grey Squirrel |
Back
at the mooring, three more boats arrived, including Beulah May who moored
behind us. He doesn’t go very far, just moving around locally.
There
was a dark threatening sky, with sunshine at the same time, which looked very
dramatic in the evening.
 |
Evening light |
Next:
Back into Oxford, with a brief excursion by bus to Aylesbury, before starting
up the Oxford Canal.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.