Fri 13th
August Newbridge to Rushey
It was cloudy this
morning as we left our high bank mooring before Newbridge. We passed the
unusual events venue, where you can stay in a double decker bus, a shepherd’s
hut, or a widebeam canal boat. There were some large tepees where some shouting
and cheering was happening last night until midnight. The moorings at the Rose
revived were all full as we thought. The people on board would have had more
noise than we did from across the river.
 |
Moored before Newbridge |
 |
The events venue. |
 |
Rose Revived moorings |
 |
New Bridge (New in 13th Century) |
Wildlife highlights: A
muntjac in the meadow, and a butterfly passenger
 |
Muntjac |
 |
Butterfly on the solar panels |
At Shifford Lock, James
had to go and announce our arrival to the lockkeeper and his assistant, who
were deep in conversation. As we left the lock, and were passing along the lock
cut, we met Sundragon, with Jason and Kate, returning from Lechlade. (See
31st July at Henley). No time for more than a shouted few words.
 |
This weir stream leads to Duxford Ford, built by the Romans. |
 |
A new bird hide at Chimney meadows |
 |
Ten Foot Bridge |
We arrived at Rushey
Lock, which was keeper operated. He let us in, closed the gates, and started filling the lock. Then he reversed it all again to let a small day boat in with us. We moved on to the sanitary station where we
emptied two cassettes. While we were there, several swimmers arrived, with a
support boat.
 |
Rushey Lock |
We wanted to moor on
the meadows above the lock, but there were three cruisers moored spaced out so that
there was no room between for us. We moored in front of the last one, with our
bows in a bush, but at least we were in.
 |
Spaced out cruisers |
 |
Moored at Rushey |
A little later,
everyone got excited, because a cow was swimming down the river for over half a
mile. It got itself out near the weir stream for the lock.
 |
Cow in the water |
James went to take
photos of the sunset, and found three deer in the meadow. One was a muntjac,
but the other two were larger.
 |
Deer |
 |
Sunset at Rushey |
2 locks, 6 miles. Dep
0925, arr 1125 Tadpole Bridge. Dep 1350 arr 1450 Rushey.
Sat 14th
August Rushey to Eaton Hastings
James spotted a post on
Canal Market Place on Facebook, showing the same sunset near Rushey. He
exchanged comments with the author, Julie Watson. She came past later with her
dog, and we had a chat. She has a boat called The Power of Dreams. They are going downstream so we may not
coincide. We passed them soon after we set off.
We passed under Old
Man’s Bridge, and encountered about forty fishermen setting up and waiting for
a competition to start at 11am.
 |
Old Man’s Bridge |
 |
Fishing competition |
At Radcot Lock we found
the same lockkeeper who had been at Rushey the day before. He mentioned the cow
in the water, and said it had done that before. Just before Radcot Bridge we
saw about ten wigwams in a field. There were some people with new bedding, so
presumably this is a version of glamping.
 |
Radcot Lock |
 |
Wigwamping |
At Radcot, there are
two bridges. The navigation passes under the newer of the two, built in 1787.
The older one, on the original course of the river, now used as moorings, dates
back to 13
th Century, and is the oldest on the Thames.
 |
Radcot Bridge (newer one) |
 |
Radcot Bridge (older one) |
We passed through the
very remote Grafton Lock on self-service, and moored on a meadow opposite Eaton
Hastings. James put out the plank as access was difficult.
 |
Using the plank |
 |
Moored at Eaton Hastings |
 |
Sunset |
We heard from Julie,
who we met yesterday, that the cow had swum past them again. This is her
picture (a lot better than ours)
 |
Swimming cow |
2 locks, 5 miles. Dep
1005, arr 1205
Sun 15th
August Eaton Hastings to Lechlade
We left our mooring at
Eaton Hastings under uncertain skies, and cruised past Kelmscott, where William
Morris lived in the Manor House. It is closed at present for refurbishment.
Soon after this is Eaton Footbridge, where there is a boat club now. Our map
shows “Pit, dis”. An old gravel pit, maybe?
 |
Cloud formation |
 |
Eaton Footbridge |
We passed through
Buscot Lock, where the helpful Lockkeeper showed us where to moor if we wanted
to visit Buscot House. Just after that, another narrowboat appeared in front of
us. They must have just left a mooring. We followed them under Bloomers Hole
Footbridge, and shared St John’s Lock with them. Their boat was called Leonard.
 |
Bloomers Hole Footbridge |
 |
Approaching St John’s Lock |
 |
Sharing St John’s Lock with Leonard. |
 |
The statue of Old Father Thames |
 |
Lechlade Church and a pillbox |
When we moored up on
the field before the bridge, a large herd of cows on the other side of the
field headed towards us. We had heard stories of cows eating the plants off a
boat roof, or of them licking the paint off a boat with their abrasive tongues.
They came very close, and two of them sniffed the boat, and one tried to lick it,
but James shooed them away, wielding a football rattle.
 |
Cow vigil |
We discovered that
Buscot House was open today, but not Monday or Tuesday. We tried to find a taxi
to take us the four miles, but the firms were a long way away, despite
advertising themselves as Lechlade taxi firms. Cheapest we found was £14 each
way. We have been there before, and we were tired and had not planned to go
today. We gave up and fell asleep instead.
There were lots of
noisy people walking by the boats, and others were on paddle boards, kayaks,
canoes or pedaloes.
 |
Moored at Lechlade |
James met the guy off
Lee Swift, who moors on the Wey at Walsham Gates.
Later we went into the
village and had a very pleasant meal in Khushi Bangladesh Restaurant, followed
by a visit to Londis to stock up on vital supplies.
Next: a visit to the
Inglesham Roundhouse and lock before starting our journey downstream towards
Oxford.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.