Tuesday, 26 June 2018

Aqueduct Marina to Waverton

Mon 18th Jun  Aqueduct Marina to Cholmondeston Lock

The main job today was to return the hire car to the Enterprise base, doing some final shopping on the way.  We found a large Tesco by accident as we took a wrong turn at a roundabout.  We found the Enterprise location, and were pleased to find that we had no extra charges for petrol, as we hadn’t put any in. We had only done short distances this time, so it makes up for the times we have returned cars with far more fuel in than when we had collected them.

Hire car

Back at the marina, we filled the water tank using our long hose. This is a small tube, so it takes a while, but we were able to empty cassettes and dispose of rubbish while the tank was filling.  We returned the £10 electricity card we had been given, as there was credit on the meter all the time.

We set off for a short cruise just to get us on our way.  Minshull Lock appeared almost immediately, followed by Venetian Marina about a mile later.  There were lots of horse flies around here.  Then came Cholmondeston Lock, and we moored up soon after in a quiet location.

Minshull Lock

Cholmondeston Lock

Moored below Cholmondeston Lock

A little later we realised that that Hazel’s watch was missing , and she hadn’t seen it since yesterday morning. We phone the marina and established that she had left in the showers, and it had been handed in.  We said we would see them tomorrow.

Hugo caught a mouse.

2 locks, 2 miles, 1 mouse

Tue 19th Jun  Cholmondeston Lock back to Aqueduct Marina and then to Calveley Bridge

Today our first task was to retrace our wake back to Aqueduct Marina to collect Hazel’s watch. Thankfully there was a winding hole just beyond where we were moored so turning the boat was not a problem.

Cholmondeston Lock again

Field Rose

Dandelion seeds

Leaving Minshull Lock

We arrived at the marina, where we stopped on a four hour mooring, without actually going into the Marina. With Hazel’s watch retrieved, we turned the boat in the marina entrance and set off once more.

4 hour mooring

Winding in the marina entrance

Hugo keeping us company

Minshull Lock going up

Wild rose

These two Canada geese families were moving around together, with four adults and nine goslings between them.  For some reason they were very nervous, and they were spooked as we passed.

Canada Geese in a panic

We managed to get beyond last night’s mooring, and proceeded to end of the Middlewich Branch, venturing out onto the main line once again at Barbridge Junction. There was a sunken boat soon after this

Artistic Rose design

Barbridge Junction

Sunken boat

We passed moored boats near a loading wharf at Calvely Junction, and then we found our friend Norman, moored up on Bruin.  We had expecting to see him somewhere as he has a Russell Newbery engine, and was returning from the RN rally at Ellesmere Port.  Vince Locatelli was crewing with him.  It was good to see them both.


Norman on Bruin

We moored just a little further on as we wanted sunshine to dry the washing.  Bruin left shortly after we arrived. They had a long way to go, and had only stopped for lunch. I don’t think it was anything we said. J  Several other RN boats went past heading south.

Evening at Calvely

Hugo brought in a deceased mouse as a present, and later caught another one.

4 locks, 7 miles, 2 mice

Wed 20th Jun  Calveley Bridge to Bates Mill Bridge

It was windy today.  Yesterday’s anxious Canada goose families went past, still looking anything but relaxed.

Goose families

We arrived at Bunbury Staircase Locks, and another boat caught us, so we shared with them. It was Blue Meon, and we had noticed the boat yesterday, with some distinctive art work. They moor at Barbridge Junction, but haven’t had the boat long, and they hadn’t been as far north as this before. We also shared Tilstone and Stone Locks with them, before separating at Iron Lock as it is unsafe to have two boats in the lock.

Bunbury Staircase Locks

Tilstone Lock

Leaving Beeston Stone Lock

Iron Lock instructions

We were on our own in Wharton’s Lock as there was a boat ready to come up, and the lock was set for us.  This was the last lock of the day for us, and we passed Maggie May moored up soon after. This boat used to belong to Roger and Mirjana, but they sold it to Peter and Steph, whom we have met twice before.   

Wharton’s Lock

Maggie May

We found a mooring just after bridge 109. There are good views of Beeston Castle from around here.

Beeston Castle


James and Hugo share a moment.

6 locks, 4 miles

Thu 21st Jun  Bates Mill Bridge to Waverton

There were lots of moored boats today, but no locks.  We were surprised to see a widebeam, as it would only have a cruising range from Nantwich to Chester.

Lines of moored boats


Some more white umbellifers, all different

We moored just before Waverton, and James went for a walk to the church via bridge 118 on the way out and bridge 117 on the way back.

0 locks, 5 miles

Next: Into Chester, where we have several people to see.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.