Friday, 12 June 2015

Kegworth to Cotmanhay

Tue 2nd June

Kegworth to Sandiacre

It had been very windy in the night, and our chimney had moved from one end of the roof pallet to the other.

 We set off downstream once more, passing the huge cooling towers of Ratcliffe Power Station, and the lines of moored boats at Redhill.

Cables and cooling towers

Redhill floodlock

Then we reached the end of the River Soar, and turned left onto the River Trent.  There was still a strong wind and we had to crab a little to enter the Erewash Canal at Trent Lock.

Soar Mouth

Remus leaving the Soar

Windy approach to Trent Lock

Remus arriving at the Erewash Canal

Trent Lock

We found Mistol moored by the facilities block, but they had gone by the time we were through the lock.  This was the last opportunity for water and elsan before the mission so we made sure we were fully up to date in both departments.

There is an interesting collection of moored boats along the first stretch of canal including historic boats, houseboats, and a narrowboat with its bows in a greenhouse.

 Boat in a greenhouse

We went past Mistol, Ultreya, Gospel Belle, and Trinity at Long Eaton

We found a mooring just past the lock cottage at Sandiacre.

Sandiacre mooring

Gospel Bell and Trinity went past.

5 locks, 6 miles

Wed 3rd June

Sandiacre to Cotmanhay

In the morning we stopped on the bollards in Sandiacre to visit to Lidl, and admire the ornate mill.

Mill at Sandiacre

John Halford (Jubilee) came up on his bike. They were having water level difficulties, with a dry pound above Long Eaton Lock. There were CRT men around and we were asked to leave locks as we found them, with a top and bottom paddle open, while they drained water down from further up.

Under the M1

As we approached the bridge under the M1, James took a photo. Just after this we connected with a submerged object, which lifted the boat up on the port side.  Three of our dinner plates crashed to the floor and smashed.  At least they hadn’t been washed up! But then, as Hazel pointed out, if they had been, they would have been in the draining rack and therefore safe. We discovered later that another of our boats had done the same thing, and smashed a teapot lid.

We were pleased to be travelling with Remus, as sometimes the gates were self opening, and it was helpful to have a person on each gate to close them.

It was particularly helpful for Remus, as they had a problem at Potters Lock, being swept round by the wind as they left, and drawn towards the overflow weir.  We helped them out by towing them off the reeds, in front of a gathering crowd of onlookers.

Towing Remus off the reeds

Sorting out the water levels

Barker’s Lock with Remus

When we arrived at Cotmanhay, we found several boats there already: Tumzul Cloud, Dilly Dally, Essence, Gospel Belle, Trinity.  The water levels were down as water had been drained off to float boats further down.  It meant we were unable to get Gabriel close to the shore.

Moored a long way out

We spent a bit of time practising songs and working out an order for Friday. 

Alan Dilnot kindly gave us a lift to Tesco, where we managed to replace our three dinner plates. We have gone for white crockery from several sources, including Sainsbury’s, Tesco, and Ikea, as it is easy to replace or match. The Tesco dinner plates are £3 each.

We then walked to the Elim church for a prayer meeting.  It was good to meet Anne the pastor, and Steve, her husband, plus one or two others from the church, as well as gathering together as a team for the first time.

We picked up a Chinese meal on the way back, and consumed it back on the boat.

8 locks, 6 miles

Next: the Mission at the Bridge Inn, Cotmanhay.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.